Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Homemade awning

The Avion needs an awning....so I ordered a roll of Sunbrella material that would match the 70's vintage trailer.

The awning rail on the trailer is 18' long....so it's gonna be a LOT of material!





The material is only 55" wide.  And of course, I want the strips to run perpendicular to the trailer.... so I had to cut and sew 4 eight foot long pieces together to make the 18' width.






I did a "flat felled seam".   Easy seams, but cumbersome when you've got pounds of material to work with! 

Duane stood on the other side of the sewing machine and helped me feed all the bulky material thru.






Nice, hidden seam on both sides with no edges to fray.......but I had to match up the pattern 1/2 way thru the blue stripe to make sure the pattern repeated correctly.





So far, so good!   18' long by 8' deep.   Now I'll need to make a decorative edging, install support post grommets, and piping that will allow the entire awning to be attached to the trailer.  Later!



1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that orange stipe...it's so cute!...can't wait to see it installed...

    Love,

    T

    ReplyDelete